First day of the new year, and the first snow flurries of the winter are falling.
I just did something that is quite possibly the best thing I could have done for myself to kick off the new year. And quite possibly the dumbest, though my husband was with me, so at least I wasn’t the best/dumbest alone.
We went for a run in the freezing cold.
The good news is that I didn’t get frostbitten as the snow flurries collided with my face, and I didn’t fall. That’s a plus.
From afar one may have thought, look at those two assholes out here running all, we-resoluted-to-exercise-more. Not us though. We are pre-2016 runners, just trying to take advantage of opportunities to run together since on non-holiday waking hours without my husband’s mother in town, it’s not a possibility since our kids would be left in the dust. At which point, onlookers might call the authorities.
I love blaming my kids for everything. (But only on this blog). In life, they ARE my everything.
But I am taking back my life in 2016. My kids are going to be the side dish to my filet.
Wait a minute, did I just liken myself to a filet?
Yes yes, yes I did. I am a filet.
Not sure if that works or not, but basically, I want to be an expensive and sought-after and respected main course this year.
That’s right. And I don’t care (although I was taught not to say, I don’t care) if that sounds self-righteous because I have already talked to God about it, and he is TOTALLY on my side.
Today as I ran and, once I was able to warm my brain and body a little, I continued ironing out all the thoughts in my brain. My body went into autopilot; my brain untangled last night’s pretzel.
A few thoughts…
- As speculated, I did not stay awake until midnight. Slept right through that 11:59 p.m – 12:00 a.m. thing.
- I woke up on the first day of the new year to the first snow feeling RESTED.
- I woke up feeling like the right season has finally entered my life.
- I feel like kicking 2016’s ass.
- This blog is going to help me do that.
- Right now, it’s a piece of junk until I figure out all the mess that is in my head, but I have faith some important themes will emerge (totally valid use of Ctrl U).
- Right now, it’s all about getting content on my blog, no matter how unrefined.
- That’s kind of becoming the point of this blog — to iron out all my thoughts and do something amazing with them and then make people pay me for them.
- At the moment, and for a while probably, I am platform building and that’s no piece of cake.
- Does anyone have cake?
- Or filet?
- For the purposes of this blog, I am defining myself in a most WIDE OPEN (totally valid use of all caps) way and relieving stress. As time allows I can work on writing and polishing stories and essays that I can submit to parenting magazines or literary magazines or some other suitable publications. Stories and essays that are up to par with my abilities as a writer.
- But this blog is a disastrous bag-o-fun so far. WAY more fun than the last one because I am letting ‘er rip a little more in this space.
- I was going to resolute to swear less this year, but for the purposes of this blog I will be swearing in plenty. Bitches!
- I love my kids. Like a lot.
- So I don’t want to come across all complainy (made up word) about them on this blog.
- But I am going to complain when I feel like it.
- But not to bring anyone down. Just to be real.
- But. (But what?)
- I fucking love parentheses (and asides).
- I say But a lot.
- I love a good BUT.
- And a good AND.
- And FILET.
- BUT I hate (although I was taught not to say hate) passive voice, though I have a huge problem not doing it intuitively.
- I love effective run-on sentences. For example…
- The paragraphs I wrote yesterday about recharging were inspired by a story my friend told me that she had heard or read about, so I can’t take full credit for it, but I adapted it, so I claim it as my original analysis.
- That’s not plagiarism right? After all I am crediting “her” a day later.
- I should check one of my out-of-date college handbooks.
- Or not.
- I like to live on the wild side like that.
- Damn, I am violating rules left and right.
- Anyway, that whole recharging thing makes total sense. I am going to start putting those plastic childproof thingies, that us parents plug into outlets to keep our kids from sticking their fingers in and getting electrocuted, all over my body. I am going walk around all, “Nope, sorry this outlet is unavailable to you.” And you and you and you.
- I vow to be smarter in 2016. More self-aware. More intentional. More everything.
- Famous last words on the first day of the new year (valid use of Ctrl I).
- God, AM I one of those assholes who makes a bunch of dumb resolutions and then throws in the towel on all of them a week later?
- NOPE. NOT ME.
- I am going to kick 2016’s ass.
- Thank you for coming on this unrefined, irreverent, contradictory, paradoxical, mysterious, grammatically
incorrectspecial journey with me.
- I have no idea where I am going.
- Except I kind of do.
- But I need to keep sailing for a while.
- Sail Away is my new theme song.
- Please believe in me.
Until next time, do you see how beneficial running is to the brain? That, and writing a bunch of rambling bullshit, and I feel like a million bucks.